The Centre has approved the construction of the Rithala-Narela-Kundli metro corridor, a project proposed by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs-DDA, as per a statement from Raj Niwas. The corridor, an extension of the existing Red Line, will be built at a cost of Rs 6,231 crore, with the Delhi portion estimated at Rs 5,685.22 crore and the Haryana portion at Rs 545.77 crore.

Funding for the Delhi portion includes nearly 40% from the central government, Rs 1,000 crore from the Delhi Development Authority (DDA), 37.5% from bilateral/multilateral loans, and about 20% from the Delhi government. For the Haryana portion, the state government will provide 80% in grants, with the remaining 20% from central government grants.

The 26.5-km line with 21 stations is expected to be completed within four years, improving connectivity for areas like Narela, Bawana, and Alipur and boosting infrastructure in these regions. The corridor will also support the growth of the Narela-Bawana sub-city and fulfil long-pending requirements of the Rohini sub-city.

Additionally, the corridor will enhance interstate connectivity between Ghaziabad (Uttar Pradesh), Delhi, and Kundli (Haryana), with an estimated daily ridership of 1.26 lakh by 2028 and 3.8 lakh by 2055.

The main stations on the line will include seven sectors of Rohini, villages like Barwala, Sanoth, New Sanoth and Narela, J J Colony and other two stations in the Bawana industrial area and five stations in Narela — Anaaj Mandi, Narela DDA Sports Complex, Narela Village, Depot Station and Narela Sector-5.